The main mission/vision of the Department are:-
- To attain self-sufficiency to offer per capita consumption of 1kg of table size fish.
- To attain self-sufficiency in respect of fish seed production to meet the state fish seed requirement.
- To offer permanent settlement to the jhum cultivators in order to do away with disastrous practiced of shifting cultivation.
- To create organize marketing network in the state.
- Conservation control and management of capture fisheries in order to augment and obtain sustainable production from the natural resources like rivers/reservoirs etc.
- Thereby to offer sustainable source of income to a sizeable rural poor and bring about economic upliftment of considerable numbers of families engaged in the sector.